Comanche County Health Report Card
Despite the title of this article, this is pretty serious. Looking at the health report card for Comanche County (released in 2014 from OK.Gov) you're probably going to die from heart disease, cancer or lower respiratory disease. While you might die from an accident, you're safer here than if you lived anywhere else in the state. Of course, you're chances of dying from an accident also improve if you get out of Oklahoma.
Some of these stats will totally FREAK YOU OUT.
HOW PEOPLE DIE IN COMANCHE COUNTY
- The mortality rate in Comanche County is 19% higher than the national average
- Leading causes of death were heart disease, cancer and chronic lower respiratory disease.
- Comanche County had the 2nd lowest rate of deaths due to unintentional injury. That's 23% lower than the rest of the state but 9% higher than the national rate.
THINGS THAT YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT SICKNESS IN COMANCHE COUNTY
- 1 in 10 Comanche County adults have asthma. That is the highest rate in the state of OK.
- Comanche County has a lower rate of diabetes than most counties in the state
FACTORS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HOW WE LIVE
- Comanche County has the 3rd worst percentage of kids that have completed their primary immunization series. WE NEED TO FIX THIS!
- Comanche County adults do go to the dentist more than most people in the state. That's good stuff.
- We have an 18% poverty rate. That is 1 in every 6 people who live here.
ARE WE GETTING BETTER OR WORSE?
- Infant deaths have gotten 26% worse year over year.
- We have 5% less asthma year over year
- We have 10% less cancer year over year
- The percentage of uninsured adults rose by 19% year over year.
OUR GRADES -- WE GET AN F IN:
- Infant mortality
- Heart Disease
- Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease
- Flu / Pneumonia
- Minimal Fruit Consumption
- Minimal Vegetable Consumption
- Teen Fertility
THINGS WE GET AN A IN:
- Senior Citizens who get pneumonia vaccination
So, we have some room to get better. We only get ONE A in the list of about 40 categories in which we were graded. Who's with me??