Commissioners Urging Citizens to Drive With Caution on County Roads
The Comanche County Commissioners are advising citizens to exercise extreme caution if traveling county roads over the next couple of days. Despite sanding the roads throughout the day, and with plans to sand into the night, Don Hawthorne, District 3 Commissioner, said the roads will be dangerous.
"We've been working on the roads all day, but with the slush building up and overnight
lows, I'm afraid they will continue to remain slick" he said. "We want to make sure people know to avoid unnecessary travel, and it they have to travel, to drive carefully."
Comanche County crews will continue to sand county roads until the ice and winter
weather has passed.
And to help you with driving with caution, AAA has complied these Winter Driving Tips.
- Avoid driving while you’re fatigued. Getting the proper amount of rest before taking on winter weather tasks reduces driving risks.
- Never warm up a vehicle in an enclosed area, such as a garage.
- Make certain your tires are properly inflated.
- Never mix radial tires with other tire types.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up.
- If possible, avoid using your parking brake in cold, rainy and snowy weather.
- Do not use cruise control when driving on any slippery surface (wet, ice, sand).
- Always look and steer where you want to go.
- Use your seat belt every time you get into your vehicle.
For more information about winter driving, visit AAA website.