Facebook Adds ‘Legacy Contact’ Feature
With Facebook being the place to connect with friends and family it's also becoming a place to reflect and remember the ones that have left life to go to the next. Now you can make remembering those that have passed easier by establishing a 'Legacy Contact.'
On the 'Legacy Contact' app you can assign a family member or friend to have limited access to your Facebook profile that allows your friend to:
- Write a post to display at the top of the memorialized Timeline (for example, to announce a memorial service or share a special message)
- Respond to new friend requests from family members and friends who were not yet connected on Facebook
- Update the profile picture and cover photo
- Allow the Legacy contact to download pictures and profile information (can only do this if you give them permission)
In order for your contact to gain access, someone must notify Facebook support that you have died and that the account needs to now be memorialized.
There is another option that will delete your Facebook account permanently after death - for this to happen someone must notify Facebook of your death and your final wish in social media will take place.
Here is how you set up a legacy contact:
- Open your settings. Choose Security and then Legacy Contact at the bottom of the page.
- Select your contact
- After choosing your legacy contact, you’ll have the option to send a message to that person.
Facebook plans to have this only in the US markets at first and will release the app in other countries soon.