REO, Styx + Ted Nugent Donating Proceeds From Concerts to Boston Marathon Bombing Victims
Classic rockers Styx and REO Speedwagon -- along with tour mate Ted Nugent -- have come to the rescue once again. The heartland rockers will donate a portion of the proceeds from their current Midwest Rock 'N' Roll Express tour to victims of the recent Boston Marathon bombings.
At every stop of the tour -- which kicked off in Grand Forks, N.D. last week -- all three acts will sign a guitar for a silent raffle via Styx' Rock to the Rescue organization, a charity spearheaded by Styx front man Tommy Shaw's daughter Hannah. The organization's goal is "to build strong, healthy communities through the support of grassroots organizations across the country."
75% of the proceeds will be donated to a local charity in Boston to help victims of the recent explosions. The remaining 25% will go to local charities in each tour market.
"Like all Americans, we have watched the events in Boston and wondered what we could we do to help," the members of Styx said in a press release Monday (April 22). "We know the fans of all three bands will once again rise with us to help our friends in Boston. We Are Boston!”
REO Speedwagon added, "We feel such sadness for those innocent people in Boston who have suffered so much and are still suffering now. We think of those victims of senseless violence as we sign the guitar which is to be donated on their behalf each night. In our small way, we do what we do."
Shaw and REO front man Kevin Cronin originally conceived the idea for Rock to the Rescue in 2001 after the 9/11 attacks. They brought in fellow rockers including Bad Company, Journey, Survivor, Kansas, Lynyrd Skynyrd and more as part of two Volunteers for America concert events in Dallas and Atlanta that raised more than $775,000 for victims of 9/11, as well as the Port Authority police department in New York City.
Hannah Shaw adopted the name last year for her organization, which partners with a different local charity in each Styx touring market to give back through community outreach, fundraising, and volunteer support.