Be Kind to Animals Week
We woke up this morning to a surprise in my husband's boot -- a little mouse had crawled inside (or was helped inside by our cat Yoda) and died. Whether it was the cat or the foot funk that killed him, we will never know. My sweet stepson asked that we be kind and buy the little guy -- who he then named Burt (posthumously).
This is "Be Kind to Animals Week." Here are some fun facts and trivia to celebrate and, always remember, animals can't walk a mile in our shoes -- but they can die there -- so look before you insert foot.
According to Ladies' Home Journal:
- 80% of dog owners and 63% of cat owners buy gifts for their pets.
- 9% of dog owners and 5% of cat owners throw birthday bashes for their pets, too.
Pets are better company than our mates, a survey reveals. Insurance Group Direct Line questioned 1,001 cat and dog owners who laid out some air-raising truths:
- Nine out of 10 animal lovers say that after a bad day, their pets make them feel like a million bucks.
- 86 percent of respondents say Fluffy or Rover helps relieve their stress and tension.
- 45 percent of women would rather be with their four-legged friends than hubbies or boyfriends.
- 30 percent of guys like their fuzzy pals better than their wives or girlfriends. Docs say our animal friends may even help us to live longer by lowering blood pressure.
A Petsmart survey says about 40% of pet owners bake or cook for their pets! I never would have believed it but my father-in-law cooked for his dog all the time. She was hugely spoiled and would NOT eat dog food because she knew dad would be fixing her dinner soon. Check out some great pet recipes online at my1073fm.com
Animal Trivia (Answers Below)
- In 1950 in New Mexico a bear cub was found in a tree after a forest fire had destroyed his home. He became a symbol for forest fire prevention. What is the name of this famous bear?
- In 1882 this African elephant was sold to Barnum and Bailey Circus. He became the focal point for the circus, until he was struck by a freight train in 1885 in Canada and killed. What famous elephant is this?
- This killer whale was in the movie "Free Willy." What is the whale's real name?
- Which U.S. President had a six-toed cat?
- Worldwide, the most important fish species used in fish farming are carp, salmon, tilapia and what?
- How many days can an ant stay under water?
Answers: (Smokey the Bear), (Jumbo), (Keiko), (Teddy Roosevelt. He also had the most pets of any president), (Catfish), (two)