July 4th Fireworks Shows in and Near Lawton – Happy Birthday America!
America will turn 237 years on on July 4th. A day of celebrations all across our great land. SW Oklahoma, is no exception to the rule. Of course everyone looks forward to the fireworks displays that will be put on in various towns and cities. Lawton will actually have a couple this year.
On July 5th, after the Trace Adkins concert at the Polo Field on Ft Sill, there will be a grand illumination in the night sky. The following evening (July 6th) at the Lawton Speedway, they will also light up the night sky in between races.
Keep in mind that in the city limits of Lawton, it is ILLEGAL to set off fireworks of any kind. LPD will issue a citation to the offender with a $750 fee attached to it. There may also be a trip to city jail as well. Best thing to do is leave it to the professionals. Fireworks are dangerous if not handled correctly and could (and have) set fires to structures and property. And most of all - DO NOT consume adult beverages and then decide to light off fireworks. Nothing can ruin a celebration like someone getting a major burn - or worse - after a few drinks. Nothing good ever happens after saying "watch this."
Other cities and towns scattered around SW Oklahoma have either scaled back or even canceled fireworks this year for a number of reasons. The ongoing drought has played a big role. Financially strapped city budgets. Insurance costs to cover the event have skyrocketed (no pun).
I have compiled a list of some of the surrounding towns and cities that will still have celebration with fireworks and other activities:
- Altus ~ Fireworks at 9pm east of the reservoir.
- Anadarko ~ Honor America Day in Randlett Park, fireworks at dark.
- Comanche ~ Fun and festivities at Field of Dreams starts at 10a.m. Fireworks at dark.
- Duncan ~ Chisholm Trail Municipal Band will perform. NO FIREWORKS.
- Fletcher ~ Fireworks at dusk, City Park.
- Granite ~ Fun filled day of activities for the whole family, fireworks display at dark.
- Hollis ~ Celebration in the Park 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fireworks at dusk in Abernathy Park.
- Mangum ~ Fun activities in the park staring at 4 p.m. Fireworks at dusk.
- Marlow ~ Annual July 4th parade at 9:15 a.m. fun in Redbud park all day followed by fireworks at 10 p.m.
- Medicine Park ~ Medicine Park's Birthday Celebration will be held July 6th. More details on their website.
- Tipton ~ Festivities commence at 5 p.m. Fireworks will commence around 9 p.m.
- Walters ~ Fireworks at Sultan Park after dark.
- Willow ~ Fun - Food & Games for the whole family through out the afternoon and evening and fireworks at dark.