Paul Stanley: Original Kiss Lineup ‘Unlikely’ to Perform at Hall of Fame
It looks as if the saga of which members of Kiss will perform at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will mirror the Guns N’ Roses will-they-won’t-they controversy of 2012. The newest wrinkle came early this morning (Jan. 4), when Paul Stanley said that Ace Frehley and Peter Criss would probably not join the group onstage this April.
Taking questions on Twitter, a fan asked if the original lineup would perform together. Although he didn’t rule anything out, he simply responded with “Seems unlikely.”
In another question related to the Hall of Fame, Stanley said that the band has not yet determined if they will be wearing makeup during the ceremony.
When the news of Kiss’ induction was announced, Stanley and Gene Simmons both said that they were open to performing with Frehley and Criss to mark the occasion. But, of course, it wouldn’t be Kiss without some extra drama, and in the intervening weeks, the good feelings within the Kiss camp appears to have changed.
Last month, Frehley said that he’s up for performing with the group, but not if Tommy Thayer, who replaced Frehley, uses his “Spaceman” persona during the ceremony. “I don’t have a problem with Tommy and (current drummer) Eric (Singer) being there out of makeup if I’m in makeup, because they’re a big part of Kiss today,” He told Eddie Trunk. “[But] they had nothing to do with the beginning of Kiss, or the designs or the costumes or the makeup… this is about the celebration of Kiss and how it all began and started, and it should be honoring the four original members.”