Brian Read is no Joey Chestnut.

Read, a 19-year-old student playing for the Seacoast Mavericks in the collegiate Futures Collegiate Baseball League, had to undergo surgery after competing in a hot dog eating contest held during the seventh inning stretch of a game last week.

Read, who attends Jefferson College in Mississippi, was among the field to see who could eat one hot dog and bun the fastest without the aid of water.

Read, who wound up finishing dead last, decided to skip the whole chewing thing in order to pick up some time. He said, “I started swallowing really prematurely. I didn’t chew my food very well.”

Immediately after the contest, Read threw up and continued to do so until the next morning. He also couldn’t eat or drink.

He decided to go to the hospital, where doctors gave him some pills in the hopes of dislodging whatever was blocking his throat. When that didn’t work, medics discovered a one-and-a-half-inch long piece of frankfurter was trapped between his stomach and esophagus. He underwent surgery to remove the food.

When Read woke up, he enjoyed drinks and ice cream and was back to normal. By Tuesday, he went out for lunch, but made sure to avoid hot dogs – instead, he had a cheeseburger.

Which we’re sure he ate nice and slow.